Saturday 1 March 2014

GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2

Grave Encounters 2 (15)
Director: John Poliquin
Screenplay: The Vicious Brothers
Starring: Richard Harmon, Shawn C Phillips
Fear is just a word, reality is much worse


Right up front, I’ll say that I did NOT enjoy or even like the original “Grave Encounters”. In fact I still get a bit of heartburn when I think about it (although that could be the dodgy local Vindaloo I had last night…). It was (in my humble opinion) one of the more annoying Blair Witch / Paranormal Activity / Found Footage mash-ups that I have ever seen. With unlikable characters, making stupid decisions, whilst filming in a haunted asylum, and encountering the usual white-faced spooks, with that interminable stretchy-dark-mouthed effect, that film-makers think scares us, and the usual throw-the-actor-at-the-camera type shocks. And … breathe! Yes … I am getting cynical and pissed-off in my old age. Anyway there was way too much ambiguity and too many telegraphed scares for me. However, on this site as well as cinema reviews, we want to highlight any overlooked DVDs that may tickle your fear-buds. The apparent success of the first film (and an admittedly stylish trailer, which clocked multiple views on YouTube) meant that the sequel recently appeared. So I watched “Grave Encounters 2” and I must say … I was pleasantly surprised…

The movie opens with a nice montage of “genuine” webcam reviews on the first film. To the credit of the film, not all of them are positive. It’s a nice touch, and done in a way that “Blair Witch 2” tried to pull off but failed dismally with it. The worst review comes from Alex Wright (Richard Harmon), who is the archetypical film-student snob, and fancies himself as a respected blogger and talented director (His crappy film project suggests otherwise…). The first part of the film deals with him and his friends following up on the urban legends surrounding the first film. As Alex researches it becomes apparent that all the events of the first film were real, and that the haunted hospital exists in real life. All during this time, the film consists of footage filmed by Alex or his buddies, and is just about believable in context. Yes, it IS a found footage film again, but bear with it. This continues when Alex tracks down the production company who released the film and uses a hidden camera to interview staff. In a brilliant touch, The “Vicious Brothers” (who directed the first film and wrote both) appear as themselves and are ridiculed soundly.

With this backstory now established, Alex and his buddies travel to the mental hospital to spend the night and film. It was at this point that I groaned so loudly that the neighbours knocked on my door to see if I was alright. Another straight re-tread of the first film? Well, for about 10 minutes, yes. But then a couple of crazy twists and a new addition to the cast turns the plot on its head. Some of the ambiguity from the previous film disappears, and the story takes several bold steps into originality. Highlights include; a door that goes nowhere (or does it?), a map that doesn’t work (or does it?), and a surprise escape (or is it?). Spooks appear again, but are in no way integral to the plot, and there’s a nice appearance from an over-grown one that struggles to stomp down the corridor after the team. Throw in a brilliant excuse for continuing to film at the worst possible moments, and a nice coda at the end that explains motives, and you have a surprising little treat.

Maybe it was because my expectations were so low, but I had much more fun with this than its predecessor. I’m probably in a minority (judging by message boards and other reviews), but the touches of originality and differing style of the new director John Poliquin, meant that I really enjoyed this ride. Definitely worth a thought if you want a fear-filler for the evening. A further sequel doesn’t look likely at the moment, but if there is one, then sign me up …







An off-the-wall sequel done right! With enough flair and twists to enjoy … even if you disliked the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment